and its story
Residents, make your voices heard
Resolution achieved on October 4 for USJ8 foodcourt operator to voluntarily withdraw the project has collapsed. MPSJ instructs ADUN Lee Hwa Beng to hold a public hearing at 9pm, Friday 25/03/05. Make sure you are there!
Posted on 08.38am Mar 24, 2005
By usjXpress Team
Subang Jaya, March 24, 2005:
The resolution achieved on October 4 in a closed-door meeting chaired by deputy Internal Security Minister Noh Omar has fallen apart.
Foodcourt operator V SAT Intelligent Sdn Bhd, which had earlier promised to voluntarily withdraw the project proposal has decided to go ahead with the project and resume construction last week.
However, the Subang Jaya Municipal Council swiftly issued a stop-work order and a meeting for all interested parties was held at MPSJ at 2.30pm yesterday, March 23.
The meeting was chaired by Council president, Hakim bin Borhan. The council dictated that only representatives from JKP Zon 2 Gilbert Yeoh and JKP Zon 3 P. Jayendran were invited to attend the meeting.
The other attendees were from MPSJ, Bukit Aman and the developer. Kelana Jaya MP Loh Seng Kok and Subang Jaya state assemblyman Lee Hwa Beng were also present.
'Resolution must stay'
In the meeting, Lee pledged he would support the wishes of his constituents as they have objected en masse to the foodcourt project.
On the other hand, Loh reieterated that the October 4 resolutions must be committed to by the foodcourt promoter and, if necessary, he would raise the issue in the Parliament which is now in session.
Loh also said that the urgency of having the police station built in USJ8 has been brought up to the Prime Minister, who is also the Internal Security Minister, and whose jurisction covers the police force.
Both JKP representatives reiterated the USJ ratepayers' stance that no food court should be approved on the site reserved for the USJ police station.
Residents must attend public hearing
However, there were no decision taken at the meeting after much deliberation. The council president subsequently instructed ADUN Lee Hwa Beng, who is also a senior municipal councillor, to conduct a public hearing on this matter. The outcome will then be submitted to the Menteri Besar Dr Mohd Khir Toyo for his decision.
The public hearing is scheduled as follows:
Date: 25 March 2005 (Friday)
Venue: Dato' Lee Hwa Beng's Service Center in USJ 1.
Lee's service centre is located at NO. 17, Jalan USJ 1/6A (JALAN Mewah 5/2) 47610 Subang Jaya. TEL: 8023 6580
Neighbours and friends in the USJ neighbourhood have been urged to attend the meeting in full force.
"The time has now come for all of you to come forward to show that a Balai Polis must take priority over all else," says Raymond Tan, chairman of "Save Our Balai Action Committee".
"A stronger police presence is long overdue in this township," Tan says. "For the sake of the safety, security and well-being of our loved ones, we call upon all of you to present yourself at this public hearing and to voice your objection to the proposed food court project."
usjXpress was informed that a total of 11 objection letters were collected from various JKPs, Residents'Associationss, Neighbourhood Watch precincts and organisations who all reached the consensus to object to the foodcourt project.
Their objection, addressed to the Menteri Besar, were hand delivered to the council president yesterday.
Tan urged USJ precincts whose JKP, RA, NW and related organisations have not submitted any objection letter to contact him at 012-2997992, Robert Chan at 012-2093093 or USJ Residents Association chairman P. Jayendran at 016-9753540 on an URGENT basis.
BACKGROUNDER. At a closed door meeting held at Pondok Polis USJ8 on October 4, the USJ 8 food court project was stopped for good after the developer, V SAT Intelligent Sdn Bhd, withdrew voluntarily. (See usjXpress story Oct 15, 2004)
The meeting was chaired by Deputy Internal Security Minister Noh Omar. Also present at the closed-door meeting was Subang Jaya Assemblyman Lee Hwa Beng, Kelana Jaya MP Loh Seng Kok, Shah Alam OCPD ACP Abdul Wahab Embong, Subang Jaya Municipal Council deputy president Arpah Abdul Razak, residents representatives (Save Our Balai Action Committee) lead by Raymond Tan and police officials.
Foodcourt project promoter V Sat Intelligent Sdn Bhd was represented by its group managing director Badaruddin Zubairi.
Noh said a police station might be built at the site under the Ninth Malaysia Plan, which starts in 2006.
The current police post in USJ has under its jurisdiction an area with a population of over 260,000 and staff strength of only 38.
Read related stories:
15.10.2004: MPSJ must come clean, starting with YDP Hakim
USJ Web Forum:
Balai USJ 8 - Dato' Nor Said "NO to Food Court!", YDP Says Otherwise!?
USJ police station: Guessing game goes on
What's your action plan, Hakim?
Foodcourt: 'Overwhelming objection'