As pointed out by CK One in another thread, the Mentri Besar has stepped in and stopped the USJ 8 food court project. This is the beginning of a new chapter and therefore deserves a separate thread. Here is the report for the benefit of all those who would want to read the good news. We, the people have won again. Will the food court operator now listen to the voice of the people?
Tuesday, March 29, 2005
From The Metro Star
Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Mohd Khir Toyo has ordered that the eatery project at USJ 8 to be stopped even though it had been approved by the Subang Jaya Municipal Council.
“We must listen to the wishes of the people and the residents there do not want the eatery.
“They want a police station and I agree that the land there is more suitable for a police station,” said Dr Khir in an interview.
Abdul Jalil stating the Subang Jaya Wargamas Association’s objection to the food court. He added that there was no urgency for an eatery to be set up at that site as there were many other eateries in Subang Jaya.
“The security of the residents is more important. I agree with the views of the Subang Jaya Assemblyman Datuk Lee Hwa Beng who had a meeting with the residents,” said the mentri besar.
Lee when informed of Dr Khir's decision said he was grateful for the mentri besar's intervention.
“The residents are against the food court and they want a police station to be built as soon as possible,” he added.
In the meeting on Friday night, the residents of USJ and Subang Jaya proposed a donation campaign to raise funds to build the police station in USJ 8.
The idea was mooted during the three-hour meeting at Lee's service centre in USJ1.
The objective of the meeting, chaired by Lee and attended by over 300 residents, was to hear the views of the residents on the food court to be developed in USJ 8 on land earmarked for a police station.
Also present at the meeting were MPSJ councillors Abdul Halim Samad, Yap Yun Fatt and D. Gnana Sanbantham.
Work on the project had stopped late last year when residents protested against it.
Then, after work resumed recently, a stop-work order was issued two weeks ago by the Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ).
The donation campaign was suggested by businessman Steven Aroki, who lives in SS19, Subang Jaya.
“I am willing to donate RM1,000 if there is a lack of government funds for the police station,” Aroki said, adding that his house had been broken into by robbers about seven years ago.
Lee listening to views aired by a resident on the issue.
“I have three daughters. I fear for their safety,” said Aroki, 38.
Johnny Liu, 39, a businessman residing in USJ 6, said he, too, was willing to donate RM1,000.
“My sister was a snatch theft victim last year,” said Liu.
Other residents interviewed by StarMetro also said they were willing to donate, with sums ranging from RM5 to RM1,000.
MPSJ councillor Yap Yun Fatt, who resides in USJ 4, said the proposed donation drive was a good idea.
“This shows how desperate the residents are for a police station in the area,” said Yap.
Residents Committee of Zone Three (covering USJ9 to USJ15) chairman Yeoh Poh Choon said there were also plans to organise a charity function with the aim of buying two patrol cars for the USJ 8 police beat base.
During the meeting, Lee explained that food court developer Pack Connexion Sdn Bhd had obtained approval from MPSJ and the police authorities to carry out the project.
“However, approval is given on a year-to-year basis. The validity of the approval is until Aug 31, 2006,” said Lee.
MPSJ councillor Abdul Halim Samad said in the past, MPSJ had given five other approvals for various projects to be carried out on reserved land under its jurisdiction.
Lee also said the developer of the food court had issued a letter stating that they would move out if there were plans to build a police station on the land.
However, many of the residents were sceptical.
“It is a large investment as the food court would be able to accommodate 75 hawker stalls.
“Logically, it would be difficult to make a profit by August next year,” said Yap.
Many of the residents at the meeting expressed their protests against the food court project, including Subang Jaya Wargamas (senior citizens) Association chairman Abdul Jalil Baharin.
“I represent the association in objecting to the food court. We have about 500 members,” said 73-year-old Abdul Jalil, who is a resident of USJ 4.
USJ18 resident Raymond Tan said the USJ8 police beat base did not have enough resources to combat crime in the area.
However, not all the residents were against the food court project.
“If there is no money to build a police station, it is better to lease the land out rather than leaving it idle,” said a SS17, Subang Jaya resident, who wished to be known only as Shahrom.
“The food court can also help to generate more economic activity in the area,” said Mohd Zaidi Ilamdin, who resides in SS14, Subang Jaya.