Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 270

Thread: Happy Day

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    18,716
    For a few days, 2-3 weeks back, I had chest pain.

    So see family Doctor & booked for Stress Test & ECG.

    Just came back....... BP before test was 140/70

    After over 10 minutes on the thread mill which went up to 16% incline & 4.2 speed, there was no chest discomfort.

    Then I dressed up & went outside & waited for the bill.

    The same SYT nurse who attended to me earlier saw me sitting at the reception & with a surprised-look said "you still here?"

    "Yes, I am waiting for the bill" I said.

    "Oh, it's free, taken care of by Medicare" she said.

    This is life in Oz.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    ...The same SYT nurse who attended to me earlier saw me sitting at the reception & with a surprised-look said "you still here?"

    "Yes, I am waiting for the bill" I said.

    "Oh, it's free, taken care of by Medicare" she said.

    This is life in Oz.
    Hmmm... I have never needed to wait for medical bill because an undertaking letter will be issued to the hospital before my appointment date…

    This is my simple life in Malaysia

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    18,716
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Hmmm... I have never needed to wait for medical bill because an undertaking letter will be issued to the hospital before my appointment date…

    This is my simple life in Malaysia
    What happen if you are an ordinary citizen?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    What happen if you are an ordinary citizen?
    I am an ordinary citizen...

    Nothing extra-ordinary about me.., I think.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    18,716
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I am an ordinary citizen...

    Nothing extra-ordinary about me.., I think.
    Your company pays for you what!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    Your company pays for you what!
    Oic, I get your point now..

    Yes, my employer pays for my medical bills and therefore each and every time I have no chance to wait for the bill..

    In future, when I am no longer the employee of my current employer, life still pretty much the same. I will be an ordinary citizen (I think this is what you mean)… and an ordinary citizen in Malaysia can go to the government hospitals for free medical treatment. Of course, there will be a long queue or big crowd but no need to wait for bill also..

    Alternatively, for something which I prefer personalized medical attention in a private hospital, I will use my medical insurance, also don't need to wait to pay bill..

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    18,716
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Oic, I get your point now..

    Yes, my employer pays for my medical bills and therefore each and every time I have no chance to wait for the bill..

    In future, when I am no longer the employee of my current employer, life still pretty much the same. I will be an ordinary citizen (I think this is what you mean)… and an ordinary citizen in Malaysia can go to the government hospitals for free medical treatment. Of course, there will be a long queue or big crowd but no need to wait for bill also..

    Alternatively, for something which I prefer personalized medical attention in a private hospital, I will use my medical insurance, also don't need to wait to pay bill..
    The Stress Test & ECG was done in St John of God, Murdoch which is a private hospital & my private insurance was not touched.

    They sent the bill to Medicare

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    667
    There was a heavy downpour half an hour ago in SJ, outdoor temperature now is 23 deg C and feel like 23 deg C too. It is nice to have a cup of tea and sit at the balcony. The cooling breeze and the music from the living hall is just another happy day for me..

    and more importantly, I can just hang around there until dark without the worry of mosquitoes...

    This is the music that is currently playing while I am sending this post...

    Mariage d'amour.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS16Ub2U6DY

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    The Stress Test & ECG was done in St John of God, Murdoch which is a private hospital & my private insurance was not touched.

    They sent the bill to Medicare
    Not sure how the Medicare works. Of course, it is good when medical bill is not paid from own pocket. However, when the healthcare of a country is too generous, it will subject to abuse (I am not saying you). Bear in mind, nothing is free, eventually the money comes from the taxpayers..

    Many people from all over the world are eyeing the generous healthcare offered by developed countries like australia, they are just like leeches that feed on the system to me. These leeches feel so good they can get free medical care for themselves and their parents from the loopholes knowing very well they contributed nothing in taxes to the country.

    I like the way Singapore manage the public healthcare. They provide good and very affordable healthcare to their citizens, good but relatively more expensive healthcare to the PR, and very expensive healthcare to foreigners. This is fair and is the right thing to do because money does not fall from sky, it comes from taxpayers. As a taxpayer, why should I pay for the healthcare cost including medical checkup for someone just because his brother or sister is the citizen, for example..

    That's why when you are earning good income and are paying taxes, you will feel piss off living in countries that provide generous social net.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Putra heights
    Posts
    3,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    What happen if you are an ordinary citizen?
    Go to GH, if you want better service be a blood donor ,can get better service. Last month I had a torn ligament , For three days of diagnosis cost me RM3000,Even now still pain as it connect to the bone....

  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    18,716
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Not sure how the Medicare works. Of course, it is good when medical bill is not paid from own pocket. However, when the healthcare of a country is too generous, it will subject to abuse (I am not saying you). Bear in mind, nothing is free, eventually the money comes from the taxpayers..

    Many people from all over the world are eyeing the generous healthcare offered by developed countries like australia, they are just like leeches that feed on the system to me. These leeches feel so good they can get free medical care for themselves and their parents from the loopholes knowing very well they contributed nothing in taxes to the country.

    I like the way Singapore manage the public healthcare. They provide good and very affordable healthcare to their citizens, good but relatively more expensive healthcare to the PR, and very expensive healthcare to foreigners. This is fair and is the right thing to do because money does not fall from sky, it comes from taxpayers. As a taxpayer, why should I pay for the healthcare cost including medical checkup for someone just because his brother or sister is the citizen, for example..

    That's why when you are earning good income and are paying taxes, you will feel piss off living in countries that provide generous social net.
    Medicare gives Australian residents access to health care and is partly funded by taxpayers themselves who pay a Medicare levy of 2.0% of their taxable income. The Medicare levy and any reductions are calculated from information provided in your tax return.

    Not everyone who come to Australia can claim Medicare, so they are not 'leeches'...you have to qualify for it. Some have to wait 10 years
    before they can qualify for it.

    Australian Medicare is better than the Singapore system.

    Residents in Australia are well taken-care in monetary term than Singapore.

    If you are a foreigner in Australia & if you are sick, you pay throught your nose just like in Singapore

  12. #42
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    18,716
    Quote Originally Posted by jan tomaswaki View Post
    Go to GH, if you want better service be a blood donor ,can get better service. Last month I had a torn ligament , For three days of diagnosis cost me RM3000,Even now still pain as it connect to the bone....
    In Australia, you may not have to pay if you qualify for Medicare and even if you have to pay, it's minimum.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    [B]...Not everyone who come to Australia can claim Medicare, so they are not 'leeches'...you have to qualify for it. Some have to wait 10 years before can qualify for it.
    Are you able to provide some links or essential info of how "someone" in Australia meet the qualifications for Medicare..

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    18,716
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Are you able to provide some links or essential info of how "someone" in Australia meet the qualifications for Medicare..
    It is a complex links and you really need to go into details here:-

    https://www.humanservices.gov.au/cus...icare-services

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    In Australia, you may not have to pay if you qualify for Medicare and even if you have to pay, it's minimum.
    Not to blow the trumpet for this 1gomen, public healthcare is FREE for Malaysians, from outpatient GP to specialist surgery.

    Some disease like dengue is best to be treated in government hospitals, not private hospitals as they have the more experience medical staff to handle such disease.

    The IJN (Institut Jantung Negara) is the best place for cardio treatment although the queue is the killer and preferences are always given to senior public staff, a senior cardiologist in SJMC told me.

    I enjoy probably the best private healthcare in this country FOC since day one I started work here but I knew this privilege will end once I am not employed. Hence, medical insurance is the alternative in the event public healthcare is not helpful due to the long wait.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •