Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast
Results 811 to 825 of 845

Thread: It breaks 3.8

  1. #811
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Putra heights
    Posts
    3,520
    Quote Originally Posted by opulant View Post
    At least one million ringgit now to complete an engineering degree in London (school fee and living expenses)..

    Those whose children have completed their overseas tertiary education are the lucky lot in the world...

    Looking at the worsening exchange rate of MYR, I think Australia and Singapore will replace US and UK for parents who are looking for good quality, English medium tertiary education ..
    I think UK is still cheaper than Aust. eg mass comm only £11K compare to Aust $ 30K per year, business management in UK only £15K compare to Aust$38K per year. I maybe wrong but can anyone verify it?

  2. #812
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    MY Home
    Posts
    8,631
    Quote Originally Posted by opulant View Post
    Just change to " Thank God, it breaks 3.8 "...
    It should be OMG it broke 3.8 and gonna to break another record of 4.8
    TASK - Trust, Attitude, Skill, Knowledge - Signatures of those who believe in excellence for any task entrusted to them - Alwin Tan @ all rights reserved
    [COLOR=Navy]Let's eat 2 taste in www.facebook.com/zinglicious or let's make MY home a better place with healthy views and tasty news in www.facebook.com/zingszangs

  3. #813
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by jan tomaswaki View Post
    I think UK is still cheaper than Aust. eg mass comm only £11K compare to Aust $ 30K per year, business management in UK only £15K compare to Aust$38K per year. I maybe wrong but can anyone verify it?
    Here is a fee comparison between Monash Australia and Imperial College London for engineering degree. The numbers are only school fee excluding other miscellaneous expenses and living expenses in these two cities.


    Monash Australia, Melbourne
    4 years engineering undergraduate degree : AUD37,900 (MYR125,000) per year. Total : MYR500,000

    http://www.monash.edu/__data/assets/...ional-2017.pdf


    Imperial College, London
    3 years engineering undergraduate degree : £27,750 (MYR155,000) per year. Total : MYR460,000

    http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/c...l-engineering/


    The reason engineering degree is 3 years in UK but 4 years in Australia is because of the different pre-U qualification. Australian matriculation generally is lower standard than A level. A level requires 15-18 months to complete whereas Australian matriculation is only 9 months. In Imperial College, students can continue for one more year to get their M.Eng (master in engineering) upon completion of the 3 years undergraduate degree.

    In London, one needs around £400-500 per week for living expenses (rental, food, transport, etc.). The yearly university calendar in London is normally about 39 weeks. Hence, living expenses for one year is £16,000-20,000 (MYR85,000-105,000). I am not sure about living expenses in Melbourne.

  4. #814
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Puchong
    Posts
    2,553
    If you need to do part-time work to supplement your living expenses, Australia is a better choice simply because the minimum wage is higher

  5. #815
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by opulant View Post
    Just change to " Thank God, it breaks 3.8 "...
    I am not kidding...


    " Malaysia’s ringgit is set to rebound from a 19-year low as official measures to boost demand for the currency kick in, according to a top banker and member of the central bank’s financial markets committee, Lee Kok Kwan, who is also president of the Financial Markets Association of Malaysia and a director at lender CIMB Group Holdings Bhd.

    The ringgit, if benchmarked against commodity currencies such as the Australian and Canadian dollars, should be at about 3.90 a dollar, Lee said. The country is Asia’s only net oil exporter and world’s second biggest palm oil producer.

    Most "hot money" has left Malaysia since the measures were implemented and “speculative” selling of government securities has tapered off. This is reflected in yields of local currency treasury bills, currently trading above the benchmark overnight policy rate of 3 percent. "

    Bloomberg, 10 Jan 2017 ... https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...om-19-year-low

  6. #816
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by opulant View Post
    Here is a fee comparison between Monash Australia and Imperial College London for engineering degree. The numbers are only school fee excluding other miscellaneous expenses and living expenses in these two cities.

    Monash Australia, Melbourne
    4 years engineering undergraduate degree : AUD37,900 (MYR125,000) per year. Total : MYR500,000

    http://www.monash.edu/__data/assets/...ional-2017.pdf


    Imperial College, London
    3 years engineering undergraduate degree : £27,750 (MYR155,000) per year. Total : MYR460,000

    http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/c...l-engineering/

    I checked with an education counsellor from a private college nearby. The estimated tuition fee for engineering undergraduate degree :

    Australia
    AUD27,000 - 40,000 per year (MYR89,000 – 132,000)

    UK
    £16,000 - 29,000 per year (MYR86,000 – 157,000)

    US
    USD20,000 - 42,000 per year (MYR90,000 – 189,000)

  7. #817
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    17,881
    Quote Originally Posted by opulant View Post
    I checked with an education counsellor from a private college nearby. The estimated tuition fee for engineering undergraduate degree :

    Australia
    AUD27,000 - 40,000 per year (MYR89,000 – 132,000)

    UK
    £16,000 - 29,000 per year (MYR86,000 – 157,000)

    US
    USD20,000 - 42,000 per year (MYR90,000 – 189,000)

    I am out of date re this subject.

    Please tell me why between AUD27,000 to 40,000?

  8. #818
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    63
    For Australia and US, I don't know and I didn't ask.

    For UK, what I know is - it is because of the locations, London is definately more expensive than Bath or Liverpool, for example... and also the university ranking which is a direct representation of the university's academic standard.

    Maybe the same reasons apply to universities in Australia. ..

  9. #819
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    https://twitter.com/#!/hurricanemax
    Posts
    7,541
    Unless they really & truly kenot speekin' englang, Almost all cina pendatang children who graduated even from local/twinning U do not/will not have problems finding a decent job (fresh grad entry level pay)...Those who choose not be to actively & gainfully employed is only becos they are too fussy or think they are smarter than the incumbent managers/bosses. Of course, still be sponsored and living under parents' roof play a big 'not desperate to work' role too...

    But we are digressing from the USD/Shringgit thread. My biggest bitch is that SHringgit have even lost out to LOS, a country under martial law & ruled by military generals! Down 30% ... and will go further south too.
    in luv with bikes...in lust with AphroditeS AWAS! Suspek is an Avid procurer to myths, lies, legends, folklores, i-ching, rumors, misinformation, cakap-ayam, spɹoʍ uʍop ǝpısdn puɐ˙˙DLL .
    p/s Take all the above with a XL salted duck egg, wash down with 2fingers of sodium hypochoride, and suck on to a pebble size tmn negara Rock salt

  10. #820
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    63
    If I can find a "formula" for brilliant kid to be on the fast track, this is the one..

    1. Good school
    2. Good results from good school
    3. Good speaking skills in iingggeris. Good in Chinese is a plus.

    (1) and (2) give you chances for interview in organisations that offer monthly salary that 99% of others will have to work for 6 months or more. (3) give you chance/edge to impress in interview..

    It does not matter even you are smarter than 99.99% of others if you are not from good schools. Chances are you will work as kulikutive earning income that really insult your brain.. I see plenty of smart kids "stuck" because of the wrong starting point because they graduated from apanama uni or some so-called overseas uni with a campus in Sarawak or Semenyih..

    Also, for those who want to continue to further postgraduatre, (1) and (2) give you the edge for postgraduate sponsorship.

    But then again, (1) needs $$$$$ , lots of $$$$$...

  11. #821
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Putra heights
    Posts
    3,520
    Quote Originally Posted by opulant View Post
    For Australia and US, I don't know and I didn't ask.

    For UK, what I know is - it is because of the locations, London is definately more expensive than Bath or Liverpool, for example... and also the university ranking which is a direct representation of the university's academic standard.

    Maybe the same reasons apply to universities in Australia. ..
    i think you are right, my daughter Curtin U is much cheaper than University Western Aust( UWA ) or Monash U but doesn't mean the quality is no good.

  12. #822
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    USJ
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by tupai View Post

    ... My biggest bitch is that SHringgit have even lost out to LOS, a country under martial law & ruled by military generals! Down 30% ... and will go further south too.
    Don't think if there is anything we can do about the currency movement, live with it, adapt and adjust, if we could, think of how to benefit from the weakening RM instead.

  13. #823
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennylim View Post
    .... if we could, think of how to benefit from the weakening RM instead.
    One of the benefits is eating out is cheeeaap, or still cheeeaap

    Another benefit is savings interest rate of RM denominated account is 2-3 times higher than the interest rate of foreign currencies account, at least..

  14. #824
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    https://twitter.com/#!/hurricanemax
    Posts
    7,541
    Quote Originally Posted by opulant View Post
    One of the benefits is eating out is cheeeaap, or still cheeeaap

    Another benefit is savings interest rate of RM denominated account is 2-3 times higher than the interest rate of foreign currencies account, at least..
    like FD at 4.5% and Bond at 5.5.% coupon?
    in luv with bikes...in lust with AphroditeS AWAS! Suspek is an Avid procurer to myths, lies, legends, folklores, i-ching, rumors, misinformation, cakap-ayam, spɹoʍ uʍop ǝpısdn puɐ˙˙DLL .
    p/s Take all the above with a XL salted duck egg, wash down with 2fingers of sodium hypochoride, and suck on to a pebble size tmn negara Rock salt

  15. #825
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by tupai View Post
    like FD at 4.5% and Bond at 5.5.% coupon?

    FD rate now from a chinaman bank is around 3.8% to 4.1%.
    5.5% is not good enough for coupon especially it is not a principal-protected note .....

    There will be an erection during an auspicious month in this year and hence it is highly possible that the epf dividend rate for 2016 will gonna be above 6.00% (2015 was 6.40% and 2014 was 6.75%) ...

    I'm not looking at coupon at this moment, not even the AAA rated ones from the small red dot as none of them can match the return of this RM denominated pension account...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •