Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

Thread: Life after usj

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,021
    Like my friend who has retired said, he will stay on in spore until he cannot afford to stay there and then he will move back to malaysia (he only said that in jest) According to him he needs to spend about 7 to 8 k a month to maintain himself in the way he is accustomed to. As he had said to his two daughters they will get the balance of what he has left after he goes to heaven/hell and he does treat himself well now, rather than leaving it all to his daughters. Like I said he has not been working for the last 15/16 years. He's not filthy rich like some people here. His monies are from his savings and investments and he is staying in a 40 year old bungalow which is still in good condition, drives a 7 series and has a weekend home in jb. When I go over to spore he brings me to eat in tanglin club and their set lunch is below 15 dollars which is very good value in spore. I can spend that much in a coffee shop. He has a maid who will peel off the skin off the rambutans and puts it in the fridge and we will have wine and chilled rambutans in his house. He was telling me that is the way to retire but i told him malaysians can only afford to do that if they worked in spore all their life . He was flying for sia when he retired so he managed to save quite a big sum of money i guess.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Formerly usj
    Posts
    2,019
    Cml, u r right, a lot of folks in Sgp hv a nice retirement nest which they can draw from.
    I also would note that there r a lot poorer folks which is not so lucky.
    It does not matter which country you r in, u need to plan for your retirement.
    With good security, one can enjoy their retirement "tanpa was was".

    Otherwise, can choose to move on to other more suitable place for old age.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Formerly usj
    Posts
    2,019
    So much to pack and put away, give away n throw away. As we accumulate things, when it is time to clear, you realize the amount of stuff ones have n not used. A big spring clean....

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,021
    Actually in our life we accumulate a lot of stuff that we subsequently have little use for. When we grow older and probably wiser, material things do not matter so much. Now I see more value in having good health than anything else. Even if you have a lot of money and you have to be seeing a doctor every other day then it is meaningless. But to do that it takes great effort and discipline. I go running and I see a lot of middle aged/ slightly elderly people who have difficulty in walking or are recovering from strokes/sicknesses and I tell myself , maybe they should have started a little earlier? Of course fit people can also die but then you do not leave it entirely in the hands of your maker. You have to do it and to start is very very difficult and once started to have enough discipline to sustain is also very difficult. We can always tell ourselves that we can start tomorrow, or rest a few more days first and so on and so forth.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Formerly usj
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by cml View Post
    Actually in our life we accumulate a lot of stuff that we subsequently have little use for. When we grow older and probably wiser, material things do not matter so much. Now I see more value in having good health than anything else. .
    Totally agree with u. It is all able letting go n live for the moment.
    It is good to hv great memories of material things but it cannot consume us.
    When it is time, we need to let go n move on.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,244

    Goh, I am 52 going on 53 soon... when I first started my career in 1981 in JB with Nestle, I went across to Woodlands along Jalan Bukit Timah and there were then a few rows of shops selling strictly fruits and canned food and electronics to cater to Malaysians. MYR was then slightly different from SGD at an exchange of 1SGD=1.04MYR or something like that.

    I bought a Casio digital clock, desktop / bedside model, just a small one that gives out very nice alarm jingle.... and after 33 years it is still my favorite... it has travelled with me from JB -> PJ (SEA Park) -> Vevey (Switzerland) -> Amiens (France) -> Athens (Greece) -> SEA Park -> Penang -> Bishan -> Bangsar -> USJ4 -> Penang -> USJ4 -> Brunei -> Singapore -> Puxi, Shanghai -> Kota Kemuning -> Penang and it still wakes me up up every morning next to my bed...

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,468
    Yup, there are a few small little things that occupied a big room in one’s heart, nothing can replaced..

    One Dad was a mechanic and he rode a bicycle (a Raleigh) in Melaka town when he started his first job. This bicycle was the only asset he had when he married. He kept the bicycle in good condition even after he bought a Honda C70 cup chai. When I studied in Form 1, I used his bicycle to cycle to school. I rode his Honda cup chai in Form 4 when I have a B2 license...

    After I had accumulated enough to redo the house (it is a corner house thus give me a lot of flexibility to explore for extensive renovation), I asked the contractor to fabricate and install a special hanger to hang the bicycle right behind the house, it is still there.

    I sold the Honda C70 cheap cheap (RM200) to the monocycle shop to stop my father to ride on the motorbike and hence left him no choice to drive a car.....

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    https://twitter.com/#!/hurricanemax
    Posts
    7,857
    Rhiga, u took way dad's joy of wind in hair n flies on teeth

    life after usj/sj should ideally for me : bitch, i mean beach. Fancy Pinacolada. Smooth single malt. Chilled beer. Great food in small bites. Relaxing Massages with swaying fronds in blue skies and green seas...with my i knowho
    Yang Bermimpi TiuXlatotupai
    in luv with bikes...in lust with AphroditeS AWAS! Suspek is an Avid procurer to myths, lies, legends, folklores, i-ching, rumors, misinformation, cakap-ayam, spɹoʍ uʍop ǝpısdn puɐ˙˙DLL .
    p/s Take all the above with a XL salted duck egg, wash down with 2fingers of sodium hypochoride, and suck on to a pebble size tmn negara Rock salt

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,244
    Quote Originally Posted by tupai View Post
    Rhiga, u took way dad's joy of wind in hair n flies on teeth

    life after usj/sj should ideally for me : bitch, i mean beach. Fancy Pinacolada. Smooth single malt. Chilled beer. Great food in small bites. Relaxing Massages with swaying fronds in blue skies and green seas...with my i knowho
    Yang Bermimpi TiuXlatotupai
    And host friends in your villa by the sea once a while hungry for free single malts?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Formerly usj
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by SiangMalam View Post

    Goh, I am 52 going on 53 soon... when I first started my career in 1981 in JB with Nestle, I went across to Woodlands along Jalan Bukit Timah and there were then a few rows of shops selling strictly fruits and canned food and electronics to cater to Malaysians. MYR was then slightly different from SGD at an exchange of 1SGD=1.04MYR or something like that.

    I bought a Casio digital clock, desktop / bedside model, just a small one that gives out very nice alarm jingle.... and after 33 years it is still my favorite... it has travelled with me from JB -> PJ (SEA Park) -> Vevey (Switzerland) -> Amiens (France) -> Athens (Greece) -> SEA Park -> Penang -> Bishan -> Bangsar -> USJ4 -> Penang -> USJ4 -> Brunei -> Singapore -> Puxi, Shanghai -> Kota Kemuning -> Penang and it still wakes me up up every morning next to my bed...
    SM and Rhiga San,

    I do agree that some items are precious.

    For me, my usj house was precious because it is "our" home, it is precious and hard to let go.
    But it is time to move on for me......let the new owner takes care of the house.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bolehland
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    SM and Rhiga San,

    I do agree that some items are precious.

    For me, my usj house was precious because it is "our" home, it is precious and hard to let go.
    But it is time to move on for me......let the new owner takes care of the house.
    Dun look back...it is good to leave this god forsaken land

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,244
    Good memories are worth much more than anything else, bro.... see you soon in Singapore. I stay all the time at Holiday Inn along Cavenagh (beside Starhub building and behind Centrepoint / Orchard Point) opposite Somerset MRT. I have been a guest in the same hotel since 2001....

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Formerly usj
    Posts
    2,019
    Sm,

    Please do call on me when u r in Sgp,
    Take u for a nice steak near your hotel.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,244
    Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    Sm,

    Please do call on me when u r in Sgp,
    Take u for a nice steak near your hotel.
    Boston steaks?

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Formerly usj
    Posts
    2,019
    Sm, there is an aussie style steak house which is pretty good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •