Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 185

Thread: Buying a continental car....

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Puchong
    Posts
    2,601
    Quote Originally Posted by SiangMalam View Post
    Then I changed my tyres at Jurong West and drove back slowly back to USJ hahaha....
    Customs never ask you why your tyres look so new and clean?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,244
    I dunno if they asked or not, I was (pretending) to be asleep... my wife drove and women never changed tyres in Singapore lah! Aiyoh, custom officers also know but you dunno, mana boleh lah...

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,021
    My friend you driving the R?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kota Kemuning
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally Posted by cskok8 View Post
    Customs never ask you why your tyres look so new and clean?
    1. You mean customs can tax the 4 new tires?
    2. Are the tires much cheaper in Singapore?

    Singapore, here I come.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,021
    Yup they are much cheaper over there. and yes they will tax you if they suspect that you bought them in spore. Again if you are driving a new car probably they would not suspect since your car is new.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,468
    Singaporeans still cross the crossway to service their car in JB, especially on weekend..
    It is cheaper for them to service the car here..

    It is the same for other gadgets like GPS or rear camera, etc which is cheaper in Singapore.

    It is not a bad idea to shop these items (including tyre) while you are there visiting friend/relative...

    I guess no point drive there purposely to do all this mundane thing or if you are there for leisure.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kota Kemuning
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally Posted by cml View Post
    Yup they are much cheaper over there. and yes they will tax you if they suspect that you bought them in spore. Again if you are driving a new car probably they would not suspect since your car is new.
    Isn't there a law that allows you about RM720 worth of gifts to bring in? So, maybe after the RM720 deductable, it is not so bad.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,021
    I dont think tyres can be constituted as gifts my friend. I think it would be worthwhile if you are buying imported tyres from germany, france or japan. If you are buying thai made michelins or bridegestones then the difference might not be worthwhile.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Formerly usj
    Posts
    2,019
    sgp definately cheaper for big or low profile high end tyres compare to msia.
    just changed my 245 35 R19 tyres to Toyo at sgd 350 each nett.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,468
    Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    sgp definately cheaper for big or low profile high end tyres compare to msia.
    just changed my 245 35 R19 tyres to Toyo at sgd 350 each nett.
    245 R19 is big tyre to me…

    I remember the OEM spec for a 2.5 liter European 4WD is 235 R18 !!

    You must be driving a really big vehicle or a sport car on Singapore road ..

    Mind share the R19 rim is for what car/model ??
    Last edited by Rhiga; 27-08-2012 at 11:20 AM.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kota Kemuning
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally Posted by cml View Post
    I dont think tyres can be constituted as gifts my friend. I think it would be worthwhile if you are buying imported tyres from germany, france or japan. If you are buying thai made michelins or bridegestones then the difference might not be worthwhile.
    My car the mistress. Gifts for my mistress. What can I do without my mistress? She takes me everywhere I want to go. She tolerates my mood. She does not complain when I speed into a corner. She did not even tootle the horn when I look at a passing Ferrari, SLK, etc. She deserves a nice set of tires but customs do not share my view.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Puchong
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiga View Post
    245 R19 is big tyre to me…

    Mind share the R19 rim is for what car/model ??
    R19 - Mazda CX5 but recently downgraded to R17 for new bookings. Cayennes and X6 also R19 rims.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,468
    Quote Originally Posted by lly View Post
    R19 - Mazda CX5 but recently downgraded to R17 for new bookings. Cayennes and X6 also R19 rims.
    Thanks… I know that too and this is the OEM spec for the vehicles you mentioned above..

    I just wonder why people change to bigger rims and tyres (not limited to Singapore but plenty in Malaysia also).. ??

    What tangible advantages for the car ??

    For a layman like me, I only know parameters like horsepower, torque, maximum speed, fuel consumption, etc are all derived from the standard OEM spec.

    I seriously don’t know whether changing to bigger tyres will change (for this matter “improve’) the performance parameters ??

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,021
    A lot of people with more money than a rational brain would buy tyres only for its looks and they have to live with a ride that is harsh and jiggly but to each his own.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Formerly usj
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiga View Post
    Mind share the R19 rim is for what car/model ??
    estima......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •