I've just installed Unifi @home and am looking for help from those who have knowledge on Unifi vs alarm systems.
The Unifi system comes with a new phone line. Existing TM phone line is recommended to be disconnected (account closed) unless you want to pay for two land lines from telekom.
With the Unifi telephone line now up and running, I have two issues that need help.
Issue 1 : Connecting Unifi line to Tel distribution box.
1. My original land line is connected to a central distribution box (those small yellow matchbox size thingy) in the ceiling/roof, which then span/splits into 4 locations around the house. Upstairs, downstairs, kitchen, alarm system.
This means, that when someone calls my old TM line, 3 phones ring at the same time. (alarm system use that line to call out - more about that later..)
2. If I disconnected the existing TM/Streamyx copper line account, my current 3 phone lines (and the phone jacks in the walls) will be white elephant.
3. Right now, with Unifi providing only one phone line, and in a double storey house, we either run/up and down when the phone rings. Not sustainable.
4. I need to connect the Unifi phone line to the central box in the roof to enable simultaneous ringing of the phones already installed around the house.
5. I have problem doing this, because the new Unifi phone line originates from the new Unifi box located downstairs.
6. Besides, I do not know if Unifi phone line signal is strong enough to support a "distributed" connection.
7. I am writing to see if anyone has any experience with this issue, and what they have done about it. Any lessons learnt shared will be much appreciated.
Issue 2 : Compatibility btw Unifi tel line with current alarm system
The existing alarm system works with TM's copper line system.
I have requested security vendor to evaluate how to connect Unifi tel system to existing alarm, so that we can receive a "dial out" notification if alarm triggers.
1. Vendor says whole alarm panel must change bcos existing alarm system not compatible with Unifi line. Approx RM1500-1800.
2. Vendor says Unifi phone line wire (from the fibrehome or ZTE VDSL unit) must be connected to the alarm panel. (so if you place your VDSL unit next to the TV bcos of proximity to your TV for IP TV function, you will find yourself scratching your head on how to lay a telephone cable from your TV cable to your security panel, which is definitely not next to your TV!!).
3. What if you do not wish to pull the line? Ans : Vendor also suggested using installing a new GSM module (provided by the security vendor) into the existing security panel. This will require you to buy a Digi/Hotlink prepaid card and insert the SIM card into the module, for the module to "call out" when alarm triggers.
4. I am interested to know what are the experiences out there, and what are your "other options" I may not have considered.
Appreciate your sharing.