Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
Results 586 to 600 of 609

Thread: The Stars and The Moon

  1. #586
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    18,855
    Quote Originally Posted by kwchang View Post
    Naka - did you take those photos? More likely from website? - I can see the "Michel Goh" watermark which is not your name... did you get his permission? If not please get permission or I will remove the photos because I am serious about using copyrighted material
    I was aware of this matter.

    That was why I wrote his name in post #583 & I got his photos freely from google.

    'Here is Michael Goh's Milkyway at The Pinnacles.'

    I did not use my name.

    Michael Goh should be happy because I promoted his photographic ideas and skills which many of us are lacking.

    NB:-

    BTW, I know him personally.
    Last edited by Naka; 22-06-2017 at 10:54 AM.

  2. #587
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ex-USJ
    Posts
    3,293
    Ms Milky in full view

    Milky - 4
    “If your photographs aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.” – Robert Capa

  3. #588
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    ex-SJ now CA
    Posts
    2,074
    Let me know what you can spot in the pics...



    Last edited by lady-o-leisure; 27-06-2017 at 01:59 PM.
    Insecurity is unattractive. Smile and the whole world smiles with you.

  4. #589
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    ex-SJ now CA
    Posts
    2,074
    Taken at 4.30am .. see if you can find Cassiopeia , Venus and Pleiades .

    Insecurity is unattractive. Smile and the whole world smiles with you.

  5. #590
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by mick123 View Post
    Ms Milky in full view

    Milky - 4
    I think the Milky Way Galaxy is our home galaxy in the universe.

    What puzzle me is why people think they can take a photo of milky way when they are inside milky Way ??

    It is like trying to take a photo of the house while you are inside the house…
    Chinese tea is good, lager beer is better, 香檳 is the best..

  6. #591
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    18,855
    Quote Originally Posted by opulant View Post
    I think the Milky Way Galaxy is our home galaxy in the universe.

    What puzzle me is why people think they can take a photo of milky way when they are inside milky Way ??

    It is like trying to take a photo of the house while you are inside the house…

    Of course, they can take a photo of the milky way inside a house simply because the milky way is on the high ceiling inside a house.

  7. #592
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    Of course, they can take a photo of the milky way inside a house simply because the milky way is on the high ceiling inside a house.
    No.. it just cannot...

    The house (the earth) is a part of the milky way galaxy. The milky way is NOT inside the house...

    It's like you cannot take a picture of the earth planet when you are on the earth. You have to take the picture outside the earth, from the outer space..

    Also, you can't take a picture of the solar system FROM the earth because the earth planet is within the solar system...
    Chinese tea is good, lager beer is better, 香檳 is the best..

  8. #593
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USJ
    Posts
    6,941
    obviously the commentator do not understand where is our Solar System and Earth within the Milky Way.

  9. #594
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    771
    The point is WITHIN.. You can't take a picture of something if you are within the something..

    Obviously, someone with one eye cannot understand the meaning of " Within "..
    Chinese tea is good, lager beer is better, 香檳 is the best..

  10. #595
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    771
    https://www.universetoday.com/74464/...do-we-live-in/


    If you are not an astronomy enthusiast you not have thought much about what galaxy do we live in. So depending on that the answer may surprise you. If you know anything about galaxies you know that they are groupings of stars that number in the hundreds of billions. The most famous is the Milky Way. It is from this galaxy that we even have the term. The simple point is that the Earth is part of the Milky Way even though if we see it in the sky it looks like we are observing it from the outside. Why is that? To understand you need to know exactly where we live in neighborhood of the Milky Way Galaxy.

    As we are part of the solar system Earth pretty much follows the path of the sun as it goes through its own orbit around the galaxy.

    The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy type so it has arms sort of like an octopus. The Sun is located near the outward tip of the Sagittarius arm of the Milky Way. This makes Earth about 28,000 light years from the galactic core of our home galaxy. "
    Chinese tea is good, lager beer is better, 香檳 is the best..

  11. #596
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    771
    Another article that described the solar system is WITHIN the milky way... and why we can't see/take picture of the milky way.

    " The Solar System (and Earth) is located about 25,000 light-years to the galactic center and 25,000 light-years away from the rim. So basically, if you were to think of the Milky Way as a big record, we would be the spot that’s roughly halfway between the center and the edge. "

    " In truth, all the pictures that depict our galaxy are either artist’s renditions or pictures of other spiral galaxies, and not the result of direct observation of the whole. Until recently, it was very difficult for scientists to gauge what the Milky Way really looks like, mainly because we’re inside it. It has only been through decades of observation, reconstruction and comparison to other galaxies that they have been to get a clear picture of what the Milky Way looks like from the outside. "

    https://www.universetoday.com/65601/...the-milky-way/

    Maybe the fella with one eye can help to explain how he can take a picture of his house when he is inside his house....
    Chinese tea is good, lager beer is better, 香檳 is the best..

  12. #597
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USJ
    Posts
    6,941
    http://www.youcanseethemilkyway.com/...way-from-earth

    https://kiranvoid.wordpress.com/2012...ng-the-galaxy/

    "What parts of the Milky Way can be photographed?

    What we can photograph and reconstruct are images of the Milky Way Galaxy from the side. From Earth, we can see the the galactic center of the Milky Way from the side. "

    What we see is an edge-on view of the galactic disk - click and view the following link
    https://i2.wp.com/img.gawkerassets.c...ium.jpg?zoom=2

  13. #598
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    771
    Since when I talk about edge-on view ??

    I thought the two examples given in post#592 are simple enough to illustrate my point, no ??


    Quote Originally Posted by opulant View Post
    ...The house (the earth) is a part of the milky way galaxy. The milky way is NOT inside the house...

    It's like you cannot take a picture of the earth planet when you are on the earth. You have to take the picture outside the earth, from the outer space..

    Also, you can't take a picture of the solar system FROM the earth because the earth planet is within the solar system...
    Chinese tea is good, lager beer is better, 香檳 is the best..

  14. #599
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    豐平峽
    Posts
    771
    From the link provided by you...

    " Earth lies about 27,000 light-years from the galactic center in the midst of a galaxy 1,000 light-years thick. From this position – the beautiful image of the galactic core with arms spiraling out – is impossible to take from the Earth. Voyager 1, launched in 1977, is only now at the edge of the solar system after thirty-five years of travel. Even if we did have a camera positioned outside of the Milky Way Galaxy, it would take thousands of years to receive image data.

    Here is the fantasy crushing fact: every top-down image of the Milky Way you have seen is an artist’s rendering.

    These renditions, however, are not without merit. By studying the density of neutral and ionized hydrogen as well as the rotational motion of stars, we know that the Milky Way is a barrel spiral galaxy. We can also take top-down images of nearby galaxies, like the Andromeda Galaxy (M31), NGC 3344 , and the Whirlpool Galaxy (M51). These images help inform the mesmerizing top-down reconstructions of the Milky Way Galaxy we often see. The renditions are likely a very good approximation of how our galaxy looks from the outside, but they are not photographs.. "
    Chinese tea is good, lager beer is better, 香檳 is the best..

  15. #600
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USJ
    Posts
    6,941
    You started your argument with this, right after mick123 put up a photo of the Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by opulant View Post
    ..What puzzle me is why people think they can take a photo of milky way when they are inside milky Way ??..
    ... obviously this was your reaction to the pictures taken and posted to the Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by opulant View Post
    Since when I talk about edge-on view ??...
    You did not say edge-on
    But ALL the photographs either here or taken by other people on Earth are actually edge-on views (nothing else). NOBODY said or claimed they have the complete face-on pictures of the whole spiral galaxy.

    But since you make such a comment on the very thread that had all the photos of the Milky Way, my clarification was just to say that we CAN photograph the milky way. However, due to the position of our Solar System (which is within one of the spiral arms of the galaxy), what we can see (and hence to photograph) is only an edge-on view.

    Therefore we CAN see and photograph the milky way

    Are you disputing the authenticity of all the photos taken of the Milky Way? And now claim that they are not true and this whole thread on the celestial photos of the Milky Way are imaginations of our photography gurus?
    Last edited by kwchang; 02-08-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •