Results 1 to 15 of 70

Thread: The Perseids are back!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USJ11
    Posts
    1,324

    The Perseids are back!

    In about another 3 and a half hours time, the Earth will be passing through a dense portion of the debris left by the Comet Swift-Tuttle.

    This means it is happy hunting time for shooting stars again!

    This morning, unfortunately, was clouded over as usual in USJ. Let's hope tonight will bring clear skies for the star gazers amongst us. I'm camping out in my garden tonight.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Putra heights
    Posts
    3,600
    What time is it can i see in USJ?Need to get a bottle of pinot nior stand by.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USJ11
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by jan tomaswaki
    What time is it can i see in USJ?Need to get a bottle of pinot nior stand by.
    jan, there is no fixed time to watch this meteor shower. Just keep your eyes wide for any patch of unclouded sky tonight, and look away from surrounding lights. My favorite time for spotting shooting stars is between 1.00-3.00 am. The neighbours are asleep by then and their lights switched off. If the sky looks promising, I may just jump into my car and take a short drive to Putra Heights for a little more excitement.

    BTW thanks for the fruity reminder (unfortunately it's not the season for cheap beaujolais nouveau yet, which is all I can afford), but a couple of cans of San Miguel will do my pocket fine. Plenty of salty roasted peanuts to go with the influence, of course. I'll be constipated like hell the next few days but that's the price one pays for the indulgence.

    Cheers.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    from USJ to Shah Alam
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by FineTuned
    jan, there is no fixed time to watch this meteor shower. Just keep your eyes wide for any patch of unclouded sky tonight, and look away from surrounding lights. My favorite time for spotting shooting stars is between 1.00-3.00 am. The neighbours are asleep by then and their lights switched off. If the sky looks promising, I may just jump into my car and take a short drive to Putra Heights for a little more excitement.
    Why & which part of Putra Heights?
    Live Happily & Leave Peacefully.
    (It doesn't come without a fight)
    *Sit & Protest - BERSIH 3.0*

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USJ11
    Posts
    1,324
    Putra Heights has less light pollution than most parts of USJ, and from various select locations around Bukit Lanchong, I can see clear to the horizon. But I fear, with increasing development, it won't stay a viable star gazing spot in the near future.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ipoh, Serdang
    Posts
    527
    I'm going camping in Camerons this weekend to do a spot of stargazing and meteor spotting.

    Cross my fingers for clear skies.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    18,656
    This thread is 3 pages long and yet there is not a photo of this Perseids.

    How come like this?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    ex-SJ now CA
    Posts
    2,074
    FineT ah... what do u mean special effort? errr... i just stood out there and saw it looking sooooo bright. No special viewing tho coz i dont hv any telescope. Hubby says Palomar observatory is very close to where i am.
    (next xmas wishlist: canggih camera, telescope, canggih HD camcorder, underwater housing for canggih camera)

    Naka... weeeeeell, i ummm doubt i would hv the patience to actually stand out there for hours like FineT just to get a decent shot of the meteor since they flashed by so quickly roughly every 5 mins, my finger wouldnt even be able to press the cam button in time also. Not to mention get it focused at the right place. I hv better chance of getting a shower shot in the bathroom. heheheheh
    Insecurity is unattractive. Smile and the whole world smiles with you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    18,656
    Quote Originally Posted by lady-o-leisure

    Naka... weeeeeell, i ummm doubt i would hv the patience to actually stand out there for hours like FineT just to get a decent shot of the meteor since they flashed by so quickly roughly every 5 mins, my finger wouldnt even be able to press the cam button in time also. Not to mention get it focused at the right place. I hv better chance of getting a shower shot in the bathroom. heheheheh

    I like to see a photo from 1 of our Sifus here.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USJ11
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Naka
    I like to see a photo from 1 of our Sifus here.
    So would I!

    I did leave my camera running in movie mode for a couple of hours, in 25mm wide angle pointed at the vicinity of Jupiter. Short of going through the the whole darned thing frame by frame (may take days!), I have no way of knowing if I captured anything. This is a task right at the bottom of my priority list.

    I do have a short clip of a Perseid from some years back, shot using my handycam from my garden...but this one I knew I caught it because I actually saw it flashing exactly where I pointed my camera!

    Unfortunately, a frozen frame of a shooting star isn't very exciting. It's seeing one with your own eyes which is the real thrill.

    A long exposure (best to leave your camera mounted on an equatorial mount in sidereal tracking mode) of up to a few hours, with the widest angle lens you have, is the standard way of capturing meteor showers. And you would still need clear skies and everything nice.

    Of course, there are already thousands of pictures of this meteor shower posted in various astronomy sites on the internet, much better than anything we can conceivably get from our polluted USJ sky.

    lady-o-leisure, a shower shot in the bathroom? Intriguing.....for all the wrong reasons.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wild2West
    Posts
    18,656
    Quote Originally Posted by FineTuned
    So would I!

    I did leave my camera running in movie mode for a couple of hours, in 25mm wide angle pointed at the vicinity of Jupiter. Short of going through the the whole darned thing frame by frame (may take days!), I have no way of knowing if I captured anything. This is a task right at the bottom of my priority list.

    I do have a short clip of a Perseid from some years back, shot using my handycam from my garden...but this one I knew I caught it because I actually saw it flashing exactly where I pointed my camera!

    Unfortunately, a frozen frame of a shooting star isn't very exciting. It's seeing one with your own eyes which is the real thrill.

    A long exposure (best to leave your camera mounted on an equatorial mount in sidereal tracking mode) of up to a few hours, with the widest angle lens you have, is the standard way of capturing meteor showers. And you would still need clear skies and everything nice.

    Of course, there are already thousands of pictures of this meteor shower posted in various astronomy sites on the internet, much better than anything we can conceivably get from our polluted USJ sky.

    lady-o-leisure, a shower shot in the bathroom? Intriguing.....for all the wrong reasons.

    Thanks for the info

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ipoh, Serdang
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by FineTuned

    ... It's seeing one with your own eyes which is the real thrill...
    Agree 1000%

    I tell people I'm going camping to see stars.. They say I'm crazy.... can see stars here mah. Can see pictures mah. Can see from Internet mah. Whuffor climb all the way to Camerons??? Besides, what's so special about stars????

    Sighhhh...

    How to explain ah??

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ipoh, Serdang
    Posts
    527
    If we do meet up for a chat on stars (not the Holly/Bollywood type) do bring along your equipment (not the one between your legs but the one quoted below) for my admiration.



    Quote Originally Posted by FineTuned
    So would I!
    ... A long exposure (best to leave your camera mounted on an equatorial mount in sidereal tracking mode) of up to a few hours, with the widest angle lens you have, is the standard way of capturing meteor showers. ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •