how to get more at petrol kiosk
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: how to get more at petrol kiosk

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ex SS14, Now Penang
    Posts
    887

    how to get more at petrol kiosk

    I receive this email today and like to share with all of you. Don't know how reliable it is, but makes sense, and hopefully ringgit and sen!!

    << How not to lose money at the gas pumps!
    > >
    > > (1)My line of work is in petroleum pipeline for about 31 years
    > > now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for
    > > every litter.
    > >
    > > (2)Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when
    > > the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service
    > > stations have
    > their
    > >storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more
    > >dense is the gasoline, when it
    > gets
    >
    warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening,

    > your 1-gal is not exactly 1-gal.
    > >
    > > (3)If there is a gasoline truck bringing loads at the time when you
    > > have to buy gas do not fill up,
    > most likely the gasoline has been stirred up when the gas is
    > delivered, and you might get some of the dirt that settled at the
    > bottom.
    > >
    > > (4)When you're filling up do not squeeze the
    > trigger
    > > of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look up you will see that the
    > > trigger has three (3) stages:
    > > lo, mid, and hi, with slow mode you should be pumping on low speed,
    > > thereby minimizing the
    > vapors
    > that were created while you are pumping.
    > >
    > >If you are pumping on fast rates, some of the
    > liquid
    > >that goes to your tank become vapors; those vapors were being sucked

    > >up back to the underground tank
    > so
    > that you're getting less worth of your money.
    >
    > > (5)One of the most important tip is to fill up
    > when
    > >your gas tank is half full or half empty. The
    > reason
    > for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying

    > it's empty space, remember gasoline evaporates faster than you think.
    >
    > > Hope this will help you guys with your pump cost. >>

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    PJ/KL
    Posts
    720
    sounds logical... but how much it equates to in dollars and cents (ringgit & sen).... hmmmm....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    451
    I have heard these "tips" before, and they seem to be centred on how gasoline/petrol expand during hot day and evaporates at certain temperature. But I always wondered how true they are.

    I'm no chemical engineer, but my logic tells me that petrol is a liquid, and liquid (e.g. water) does not physically expand when heated. So does petrol really expand when it's hot? If petrol does not expand, then the theory of refilling petrol during hot day or in the evening doesn't seem to hold ground.

    Secondly, about petrol vapours. What is petrol's boiling point at which petrol liquid turns into vapour? It can't be so low e.g. 20-50 degrees celcius (normal "hot day" temperature), can it? Maybe someone with chemical background can help to clarify this.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    USJ9
    Posts
    348
    Of late, the petrol I am using (since the last 4 fillings) had given me the mileage I was desperately looking for. No need la all this tips. My full tank gives me more than 480km compared to <400km previuosly.

    If you want to know, you can PM me. Can't reveal here or I will be savoured by bananas.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USJ17
    Posts
    509
    I think u can go to ask the petrol station operators.

    As far as I know (fr my cousin who operates one) they need to wash off any spilled petrols as they are highly flammable (even in normal sunlight) ranging fr the lowest (kerosene?) to highest (those fancy sounding names.. )

    I helped out before in a petrol station, I do know that they only measure their oil lvls at night. So I do believe that petrol evaporates.

    Btw, I thought petrol is in oil category thus makes it expandable?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    กรุงเทพ เมืองไทย ครับ / Subang Jaya / Bukit Bintang / Bangkok
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by denver
    II'm no chemical engineer, but my logic tells me that petrol is a liquid, and liquid (e.g. water) does not physically expand when heated. So does petrol really expand when it's hot? If petrol does not expand, then the theory of refilling petrol during hot day or in the evening doesn't seem to hold ground.

    Secondly, about petrol vapours. What is petrol's boiling point at which petrol liquid turns into vapour? It can't be so low e.g. 20-50 degrees celcius (normal "hot day" temperature), can it? Maybe someone with chemical background can help to clarify this.
    u dont need to be a chemical engineer.... any form 3 science student can tell you from physics or chemistry lessons that as liquid becomes warmer, their molecules travel faster which causes it to expand. at boiling point, the liquid becomes gas/vapour.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    กรุงเทพ เมืองไทย ครับ / Subang Jaya / Bukit Bintang / Bangkok
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by achee
    Of late, the petrol I am using (since the last 4 fillings) had given me the mileage I was desperately looking for. No need la all this tips. My full tank gives me more than 480km compared to <400km previuosly.

    If you want to know, you can PM me. Can't reveal here or I will be savoured by bananas.
    you must be using one of those bio-additives which is in the form of liquid or tablet. if you are, it's true you can save on petrol. let me also point out that in countries such as thailand and india, car companies such as toyota will void the car warranty if they find out you use these additives...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    USJ 12
    Posts
    4,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Guy
    << How not to lose money at the gas pumps!
    > >
    > > (1)My line of work is in petroleum pipeline for about 31 years
    > > now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for
    > > every litter.
    > >
    > > (2)Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when
    > > the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service
    > > stations have
    > their
    > >storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more
    > >dense is the gasoline, when it
    > gets
    >
    warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening,

    >>
    Next time you want to share tips with us, take this tips from me. Please get rid of all those > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> first. It makes reading irritating. Thank you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    somewhere out there
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by pcyeoh
    Next time you want to share tips with us, take this tips from me. Please get rid of all those > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> first. It makes reading irritating. Thank you.
    i guess its a cut and paste job..

    back to the topic... thats y i see so many ppl in the morning and at night at the petrol station lar

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bandar Puteri, Puchong
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by denver
    ........Secondly, about petrol vapours. What is petrol's boiling point at which petrol liquid turns into vapour? It can't be so low e.g. 20-50 degrees celcius (normal "hot day" temperature), can it? Maybe someone with chemical background can help to clarify this.
    Unleaded gasoline physical and chemical properties
    Physical state - liquid
    Colour - colourless (may be dyed)
    Odour - gasoline like
    Density @ 15 deg C - 715 - 780 kg/m3
    Flash point (COC) - minus 40 deg C
    Boiling point/range - 25-220 deg C

    For best advice.....always refer to Product Technical Specialist (petroleum products).......never take-in 100% of what people says......even if they work in petrol station/oil companies/laboratories......as they are not the expert and also most propably get the info from hearsay......

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Puchong
    Posts
    2,602
    The part about filling up in the morning when petrol is more dense is true. During the 80s when F1 rules limit the amount (in liters) of fuel that a car can carry (and no refuelling allowed), the teams used to chill the fuel before putting it into the cars. Also fuel for aircraft is always calculated in kg or lbs and not volume because it changes with the temperature.

    For our local situation I am not sure how much you can actually save.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    in a house on a hillside
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by cskok8
    For our local situation I am not sure how much you can actually save.
    what about your personal situation...petrol vapours are a known carcinogen...so if you slow down the pump you reduce vapours, you get more liquid into your tank, save money (a very minor amount) and reduce the risk of cancer....

    Cheers, m
    The world needs more Canada

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sydney, US, UK, Malaysia
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by pcyeoh
    Next time you want to share tips with us, take this tips from me. Please get rid of all those > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> >> > > >> first. It makes reading irritating. Thank you.
    That must be cut and paste from an email.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    N03 04' 20.00 E101 30' 40.00
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by cskok8
    For our local situation I am not sure how much you can actually save.
    The temperature in our country does vary quite substantially between day and night time. eg. 24-34 degrees. Therefore this tip do apply to us more than these in the 4 seasons countries where the day/night temperature does not vary a lot.
    what's right isn't always popular... and what's popular isn't always right.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USJ, Malaysia
    Posts
    146
    Some info on trade regulations related to measurement of petrol in Australia on this document : http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/files/volume.pdf

    The big question is, how much can be saved by following the tips.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •