Tuesday Jan 10, 2006
In the dark over status of RM30m complex
By THOMAS HUONG
RESIDENTS of Subang Jaya, USJ and Bandar Sunway are concerned over the delay in the opening of the 3C (Children's Creative Centre) Complex.
They are also puzzled as to why the RM30mil complex, near Sunway Pyramid shopping mall and SS13 in Subang Jaya, is allowed to take on a dilapidated look.
The building has been left abandoned since Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ) completed it in 2004.
The cracked and broken window panes are still there despite StarMetro highlighting the building's condition twice last year.
In a faxed statement to the newspaper last September, MPSJ president Datuk Mohd Arif Abdul Rahman said the council was calling for tenders from companies to manage the complex.
He added that the complex should be opened to the public by the end of last year.
The complex was built as a place dedicated to children and their development.
It has three main buildings, spread over 1.26ha. There were plans for a four-storey learning centre, a three-storey workshop, a four-storey art gallery and a playground.
Catering to youngsters aged between three and 16 years old, the complex was also to be the venue for indoor activities such as drama, dance, theatre and cooking classes besides outdoor activities such as gardening, camping and pet care.
Residents' Committee Zone 5 (USJ 1) Kamarudin Rasol said residents were demanding an explanation from the council.
"They are still in the dark about the status of the complex. Millions of ringgit have been spent. It will be a great loss to the public if the complex is not utilised," said Kamarudin.
The complex could also be a safety hazard, he added.
"The proximity of a busy highway and high-tension electricity cables to the complex could affect children's safety," said Kamarudin.
A resident who wanted to be known only as Devan claimed that even before the complex was built he wrote to the council about studies that showed the possibility of cancer and leukaemia arising from long-term proximity to high-tension electricity cables.
"I have also advised the council to relocate the complex. However, there was no response from the council," said Devan, a resident of SS18.
Samson David Maman, a well-known member of the business community in SS15, Subang Jaya, felt that the complex could become a waste of the taxpayers' money.
Samson also wondered if an environmental impact assessment (EIA) was conducted before the complex was built.
"If the complex is not suitable for children, hopefully it can be converted into a facility that the public can utilise," said Samson.
Residents' Committee Zone 4 (Bandar Sunway) chairman Goh Hai Thun said he hoped that the complex would not turn into a white elephant.
"It must not be a waste of public funds that could otherwise have been put to better use," he said.
Echoing the views of Goh, Bandar Sunway Residents' Association president Dr Rafi Khan said the location of the complex was not suitable.
"It is adjacent to a light industrial and commercial area,'' he said. "The complex should have been located nearer to residential neighbourhoods."
Dr Rafi claimed that residents were not informed or consulted when construction work began on the complex three years ago.
"As far as I know, none of the residents' associations or residents' committees requested for such a complex. Since the complex has been built anyway, the council must make sure it is put to good use," said Dr Rafi.
MPSJ was approached last Thursday for comment but up until Saturday, the council had not responded.