View Full Version : THe Star vs The Straits Times
Which is your favourite daily and why?. Even though the Straits Tmes has introduced a tabloid form do you think it is getting more popular. One of the reasons of this introduction as claimed was to make this paper to encourage youngsters to read and for the convenience of commuters..and surely to compete with The Star too.
Many still prefer The Star because of its simple language, the commercial and classfied content despite of its weight and supplements.
The StraitsTimes on the other hand have heaps of prevailing readers like many of the top rank ppl and my friends with eruditeness still prefer this daily because of the polished and refined quality of the language and the reports from senior experienced reporters give better news coverage and a matured outlook.
As for me I have been used to the Star because what I need is all in the Star but my better half prefers The Straits for its entertaining informative articles and to check on the obituaries :)
Why do you like your daily? , maybe you would want share your views.
25-10-2004, 12:11 PM
NST contents are not very interesting regardless of the size and there is a perception that they are just a mouth piece for so and so. Star is more interesting to read. What about the Sun. That is a good paper to read as well..some of the articles are great..written without fear or favour. And it is FREE!!!! Doesn't have the Star metro/lifestyle type of news but sufficient to know what is going on.We should support the Sun. For all the justice that Star speaks about, it keeps raising its price regardless of print paper price up or down. Look at their profits. So we need to support the Sun to keep this guys in check.
I never miss my Sun or Star. NST...small or big..not intelestedloh! :cool:
25-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Being in touch with the media fratenity (was in one myself some years back), I like Star for its many different sections. Star have a team of young, dynamic writers-in a way Star is read by many urban, young, hip & happening crowd!
I only read NST when I have to coz there's not much to read. NST have business related news.
Sun? Although its free I don't really read it as the quality of writing isn't as good.
Incidentally most of the people I hang out with writes for the Star.....:)
25-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Prefer The Star for it's content. But will buy NST tabloid on Saturday and Sunday for Property Times and CBT.
It has always been The Star for me. But find the ads a wee too much these days. And I find them not as bias in their reporting as NST. NST on the otherhand is great for obituaries, they win hands down.
25-10-2004, 02:30 PM
My favourite Daily is STAR because it's value for money. Sell the thicker & heavier bundles to "Paper-lama, can get extra money too.
25-10-2004, 03:22 PM
have been reading star for so long,
the other day bought 1 copy of nst, just tak biasalah
just to let u know, at times, so news reported in star but not found in nst
and the other way too !!
25-10-2004, 03:31 PM
hehe.. sometimes not very understand about the news reported in NST. So preffer STAR cos my english too lousy.. :D
25-10-2004, 03:56 PM
NST letters on line (only letters, not their news articles) are more open (and daring). I seldom see Star allowing letters critizing like Uncle Sam. Perhaps the MCA papers are too restrained? Whatever it is, I still buy Star.
25-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Err...otherthan those in the sky....ahem...Orchi sees star only down here.... :D
26-10-2004, 12:42 PM
I still prefer The Star....unleast if i want to look for a job then I buy NST on Saturday :)
27-10-2004, 05:05 PM
i love the star, especially the thickest edition on saturday, where i can find the BizWeek. from the share price also we can compare which is better (NST=RM3.80),(STAR=RM6.50)....huhuhuhuhu
27-10-2004, 06:16 PM
I love reading the NST and only buy the big spread version because
1. The big spread version has a greater visibility to people around me. At least I can show the whole world that I am a matured reader who go for the polished and refined quality of the language and the reports. Ada class.
2. I started with the NST and it was very helpful while taking the ferry to work every morning. The NST in my hand ensured that I had ample sitting space as nobody would neither sit on my left nor right. I would immediately put it away when a SYT came along.
3. Incidentally, the wide spread version can also act as a cover to cover fatal accident victims in situation where there is no Chinese press readers around to lend their Sin Chew, Nanyang and Kwong Wah newspapers.
4. They have nice and comprehensive obituaries to tell me the good news that my enemies have just passed away or give me the comfort that I out lived so many of them. By the way, the obituaries also act as an advertisement for recruitment when it says Mr X, ex-Headmaster of SRJK (T) Kuala Ketil leaving behind the following sons Mr A, senior clerk, Batang Berjuntai Rubber Estate...........
5. It is very useful to be used when you are painting your house when you need them to prevent paints from messing up your floor. This incidentally gives me the good feeling when I am stepping on the Minsiter of Works face.
6. It is also useful to wrap big items. For poor people who live in squatter houses, it is an interesting wall paper not available from IKEA where the news is perpectual - can read anytime and catch up with news you missed. They are said to be writings on the wall.
7. I used them as fire lighter during camp fire as they can be damn long when rolled up.
8. In terms of news content, I like them. Their slanted news always remind me to continue to vote for DAP and read Malaysiakini.
27-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Pcyeoh, can I take the liberty to add no:9 to ur list,
9. During heavy rain, the big spread will cover a larger portion of my body from the rain campare to Star. :D
I wonder, there's the star, the Sun, where is the MOON? :rolleyes:
27-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Err...PCYeoh :) ...your writeup in here about NST in particular...just cost Orchi another set of mouthpiece...n potentially lethal damage to Orchi's NEW..15 inch long LCD monitor! :D ...ahem...wait til our ya know who...gets to read your post...n Orchi won't be abit surprised...err...should it be later moved to the other dimension....ahem...nonetheless...it is another classic example of your legendary jokes! :D
28-10-2004, 12:48 AM
I read both NST and The Star.
For news and politics reporting quality - It's NST for me. But I prefer the big spread. To me, tabloid size papers should be for tabloids. Besides, the print on the tabloid size is too small. I guess they want to maintain the length of the stories but have to fit into a smaller paper. For aging eyes like mine, it's tough to read.
STAR is good for browsing through in the morning to get a gist of today's news. I find that they have too much advertisements. So, it's only good if you are out shopping for something, looking for a supplier, etc.
I do like the cooking section in The Star.
29-10-2004, 03:59 AM
I wonder, there's the star, the Sun, where is the MOON?
Got la... the moon... aka Harakah.... :D But joke cannot use, on flight to Kota Bahru... after kena (STARED AT) all the way to landing....
Have fun reading...
I find both also propaganda mouthpieces for their owners and I avoid reading it if I can help it. Sometimes I buy it for the supplements eg property times, motoring supplements and advertisements to see what is new. I buy the edge for its contents though it is skewed more to business and harakah if I can get hold of a copy.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.