View Full Version : What is the difference between quilt and comforter?

13-12-2007, 03:03 AM
this questions may sounds stupid, yeah, anyway, I still dont know what is the difference between quilt and comforter. Someone told me that a quilt is made with feather, while the comforter not. Also, a quilt also has a quilt cover. I went to a shop and found that the quilt is sold seperately with the quilt cover and there is no pillow/bed sheet. I thought the quilt cover should sell together with pillow/bed sheet so that it is a set and looks nice. How come the quilt cover and pillow/bed sheet sold seperately?

13-12-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm not really sure of the difference between the two.
But you can definitely purchase a set of quilt cover, bed sheets, pillow cases as well as a bolster case.
I know 'cos I've got 2 sets of those in king size. Got them at Jusco.

13-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Maybe Quilt got better design?

Maybe Quilt it is traditionally made?

Maybe comforter are with little or no design with some soft material inbetween?

No Idea oso :D hahaha

But in a hotel room nowadays, I think the top layer is Quilt, follow by a comforter follow by a bed sheet and the bed is covered by another bed sheet

13-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I think quilts are traditionally hand made items with embroidery and stuff like that. Comfot=rters on the other hand are more western in concept and they basically needs to be covered with a cover and they can be made of feather, hollowfill , cotton or whatever and one buys a cover and covers them like one would with a pillow or bolster and if it is soiled the cover can be washed. Quilts are more like blankets. It is one piece. That is what i think is the difference .

13-12-2007, 01:50 PM
if you believe in dictionaries, the differences are :
1) spelling
2) pronounciation :D

but thanks for asking all the same - like you, and i, many others have had the same question in mind but never bothered to find out (and some are still speculating...) ;)

source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/quilt

quilt /kwɪlt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kwilt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a coverlet for a bed, made of two layers of fabric with some soft substance, as wool or down, between them and stitched in patterns or tufted through all thicknesses in order to prevent the filling from shifting.
2. anything quilted or resembling a quilt.
3. a bedspread or counterpane, esp. a thick one.
4. Obsolete. a mattress.
–verb (used with object) 5. to stitch together (two pieces of cloth and a soft interlining), usually in an ornamental pattern.
6. to sew up between pieces of material.
7. to pad or line with material.
–verb (used without object) 8. to make quilts or quilted work.


[Origin: 1250–1300; ME quilte < OF cuilte < L culcita mattress, cushion]

—Related forms
quilter, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

source : http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/comforter

com·fort·er /ˈkʌmfərtər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuhm-fer-ter] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a person or thing that comforts.
2. a quilt.
3. a long, woolen scarf, usually knitted.
4. the Comforter. Holy Ghost.


[Origin: 1300–50; ME comfortour < AF, OF conforteor, equiv. to confort(er) (see comfort) + -eor < L -ōr- -or1 or -ātōr- -ator]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

ps - do i get a banana for copyright violation for reproducing something from a public domain?

13-12-2007, 03:10 PM
From the definition extracted by Joker2107, can we conclude that quilt and comforter (and maybe duvet) are actually the same thing?

duvet -according to Longman Dictionary of Contemporary ENglish (2005) refers to a large cloth bag filled with feathers or similar material that you use to cover yourself in bed.

13-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Quilt cover + pillowcase+ bolster set are the main bedcover set sell at IKEA. the bedsheet are sold separately, an most of it, plain color no design. so maybe this is sweedish style.:D

I think comforter & quilt same thing, just that if buying quilt, you can choose the thickness that you prefer, while comforter have a standard thickness.
:rolleyes: just my 2 cents

13-12-2007, 11:44 PM
English is a rapidly developing language, a development which Malaysians and Singaporeans are also contributing to.

Words that may have been completely synonymous in the past, e.g. when a certain edition of a dictionary was written, might not be so today.

One example is apartment:flat, which originally were synonymous. but are now increasingly used for slightly different meanings - even by Americans - apartment being larger than a flat.

Another example is inquiry:enquiry, originally just different spellings of the same word, the former's meaning slowly but surely migrating towards "police inquiry" whereas the latter increasingly specific to "customer enquiry" or "product enquiry".

14-12-2007, 12:15 AM
so, in summary, can we said that quilt is better than comforter? more expensive, last longer, better material than comforter?

one good question is should I buy quilt or comforter?

14-12-2007, 12:43 AM
A quilt is a thick embroidered blanket, usually in decorative pattern with raised designs. A comforter is a thick fluffy blanket, sometimes decorated and colored with dye, not embroidered like a quilt.

A hand-made quilt, heirloom quality, can last for a long time if you care for it properly....which means it's also more expensive.

Go for quilts if look & high quality is what you want. Otherwise, go for comforter for its practicability.

14-12-2007, 09:16 AM
In the UK people use Quilt to mean a bag stuffed with feathers. It comes with a loose cover that is laundered in a washing machine. The quilt is aired three times a week and has to be professionally cleaned as well.

A duvet is the same thing. But the word is used more in mainland Europe than in the UK. As it's French in origin, the word is pronounced DOO-vay. But the British having that odd sense of humour often refer to it as a Duvvet.

Quilts and duvets are both used in the US but most of the people I know there still use blankets and sheets.

The words comforter is very Asian English. I have never heard it used in the UK or in the US. Also, the style of the thing, the thick weaving with the non-removable cover, means it doesn't fit in well with the way Europeans live. You can't just shove a comforter in the washing machine and dry cleaning is expensive in Europe. And nobody would want something on the bed that isn't washed twice a week!


14-12-2007, 09:26 AM
I believe the hand throw pillow cover can also be quilt or quilt design. Saw some in the international exhibition at subang parade recently.

Also, patchwork quilt, make up of bits of different leftover (usually) cloth, which I use to used it as blanket when I was young

14-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Quilting, the verb, is a sewing process whereby you take two bits of cloth, put some padding in the middle, and stitch the lot together.