View Full Version : where to get free legal advice?

16-04-2007, 10:35 PM

Pls adv where can I get free legal advice for cases of company unlawful dismissal.

16-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Labour Office or Industrial Relations Department if you are looking for free advice.

17-04-2007, 12:49 AM
My free advice to you in cases such as dismissal, not any lawyer will do. Engage those who are specialised in industrial cases. Better still, those who have worked in the Labour office. I helped a friend in such a case where we talked to a lawyer who claimed he could handle the case and another ex-dep. director general (living in my precinct) and they were a world of difference. There is no such thing as a free advice. My fellow precinct reseident charges only RM 50.00 for the first engagement to determine whether you have a case or not. If yours is a weak case, he will tell you not to waste your time and money. For the lawyer, it is "let us fight it out." My wife had a bad experience. We engaged a lawyer on a 'profit sharing basis' and by the time we won the case after 3 long years (most of the time due to postponement and my useless lawyer couldn't even manage this trick by the defendent) the company wound up. By the way, if you are already being given the termination letter, you better get cracking as you have only 60 days to lodge a complaint to the Labour Office. You can start by contacting this Call Centre (http://www.mohr.gov.my/callcenter.htm)and start reading this Industrial Court (http://www.mp.gov.my/mp_baru/biver/indexbi.htm) website for information. The best way is to help yourself. Don't rely on advice especially when it is free on important matters.

How can a workman, who had been dismissed have his matter referred to the Industrial Court?

A workman who has been dismissed must first make representations in writing to the Director General of Industrial Relations to be reinstated to his former employment within 60 days of his dismissal. The Director General of Industrial Relations will try to resolve the matter through conciliation between the parties. If conciliation fails , the Director General of Industrial Relations will refer the matter to the Minister, who may if he thinks fit , refer the matter to the Industrial Court for a decision.

17-04-2007, 05:53 AM
There are many people sitting in the Labour Office who can help.... you can always seek their opinion first...but if they take up your case, I think they would likely to ask for profit sharing or something alike.

Anyway... before this, I would suggest you discussed your issue with a very qualified ex-labour office officer in his forum first. Just log into HR Forum (http://www.pesaraonline.net/SubjectListing.asp) :)