View Full Version : Memory Playback...

29-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Some hot cases gone cold
The NST News Team

Dec 29:
In just two days, another year will have passed. For many Malaysians, it will be a time to make new resolutions and reflect on promises made and broken. For several government agencies, it may be a good time to re-visit some cases, which have not been solved.

A painfully slow probe

THREE years ago, a senior Malaysia Airlines official lodged a police report alleging wrong-doings by former top executives of the national carrier.

At the heart of the report was dealings between the company and German company Advanced Cargo Logistics Gmbh (ACL).

ACL and MAS had agreed to develop a European cargo hub at a former military airbase in Hahn.

Hahn and another cargo hub in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates, were to be part of MAS’ "Cargo Spine Network".

There has been glacial progress on the case for the past three years. Earlier this year, a director of the airline lodged another report with the commercial crimes division at federal police headquarters in Bukit Aman. In it, he implicated several former executives and alleged offences related to non-disclosure of interests and other breaches of the Companies Act.

In particular, the police report focuses on the need for a company director to state his interests, whether directly or indirectly, in a contract or proposed contract with the company at a board meeting at the earliest possible time.

Now that the spotlight is on MAS and Malaysians are demanding to know how a world-class airline hit the skids so abruptly, perhaps it is time for the police to burn the midnight oil on this case.

Arson probe that has gone on and on...

FROM the day it happened in March, the fire at the storage room of the Department of Environment office in Johor Baru carried the stench of arson.

Ninety per cent of the records kept, including files on high-profile investigations, were destroyed in the March 24 incident. Among them were those concerning the illegal importation of toxic waste from Taiwan last year.

In June, the Fire and Rescue Department confirmed arson as the cause of the fire .

More recently, Johor CID chief Senior Assistant Commissioner (II) Datuk Abdul Rahim Jaafar said that senior DOE officers may have masterminded the fire.

But till today, no one has been charged in court.

Mayor needs to clear his name

ONE of the most intriguing cases of 2005 involved Kuala Lumpur mayor Datuk Ruslin Hassan. A book implicated him in corruption and sex scandals.

Later it transpired that two senior City Hall officials were behind the book.

They were arrested in October and released later. The writer of the book, Mohd Rafie Awang Kecik, was arrested but he remains defiant.

He lodged a police report and has challenged Ruslin to dispute the contents of the book. To be fair to the mayor, he needs to have his name cleared once and for all.

To be fair to Malaysians, they need to know whether there is any truth behind any of the allegations.

The one that got away.

IN September, a senior Malaysian anti-narcotics official attending a regional meeting in Bangkok had to do much explaining.

Officials from the drug enforcement agencies around the region wanted to know how drug baron Qui Liang Jie could walk out of an Immigration detention centre. They are not alone.

Many others are wondering how he walked out a few days before being extradited to China.

Police arrested six Immigration officials and have recommended that they be charged with negligence. If they are convicted, they will face only up to two years in jail. Until their day in court arrives, they will perform desk duties.

Still on salary after so long

THE judge was ready. And so was the prosecution, or at least they thought they were.

Just as chemist Zurina Ramli began unwrapping the boxes to tender more than 60,000 psychotropic pills as evidence, she realised that something was drastically wrong.

All three boxes were empty.

The vital evidence in the drug trafficking case had gone missing from the evidence room at the district police headquarters.

That was nine months ago.

The New Straits Times has learnt that a police officer has been suspended on half pay for the past seven months.

The outcome of a disciplinary case against him hinges on whether the case against the drug trafficker proceeds.

It remains unclear why the police officer — a chief inspector — is still drawing half his salary if police investigators have already completed investigations into how the pills went missing.

Meanwhile, the drug trafficking case will be brought for mention on Jan 13, 2006 at the Shah Alam High Court.

Tua Bit, 61, faces two charges of trafficking the Nimetazepam pills in 2002. But can the case proceed without the evidence?


Err...lets also not forget about the case involving the gruesome murder of Noritta Samsudin...who actually has done it...??

How about the outcome of the trial for the alleged corruption case on Tan Sri Eric Chia...ex CEO of PERWAJA...??

Ahem...Orchi's memory is failing...can anyone else recalls any other pending unsolved cases...or are we Malaysians easy to forget...??

29-12-2005, 06:37 PM
There are still many pending case...i.e.
1) The murder of Canny Ong
2) The squatting incident
3) The murder on the son of Loh Boon Siew in Penang
4) A few incident in genting that is not been published
5) The issue on the hidden city in Johor

and there is more to go....